Friday, September 16, 2016

Cheers! It's been a year!

Courtesy of YourTimeToShine

My son turned one on Saturday! I went with a Mickey Mouse/Outer Space theme. (For those of you who are familiar with The Mickey Mouse Club, you know what I'm referencing.) It was a hot celebration with family and friends and the humidity decided to join us. September temperatures are as unpredictable as May's as it falls in between the transition from my least favorite season to my most favorite season. It also happens to be my birthday month, which lands closer to the official first day of fall :) 

I enjoy the preparation involved, the hours spent scouring Pinterest, running around town trying to get the best deals, and making cool things out of Dollar Tree finds. I made delicious meteorites out of chocolate and turned my son into an astronaut.


But if I'm being honest, I DREAD the execution of it all. I end up spending the day scrambling to make sure every little piece of decor is where it should be, the food is ready on time, and everyone is enjoying themselves.

My husband has said that these parties are for the parents and not the kids, because the kids aren't going to remember an iota of what happened. As much as I don't like to hear it, he's right. Despite the fact, reaching one year old is a momentous milestone and needs to be celebrated. Some cultures have ceremonial rituals to emphasize the significance of the day. I on the other hand like to have complicated, detail riddled parties. With all that said, I appreciate and am grateful for the friends and family that came to celebrate with us. And although he may not have a memory of the party details, I know that my son went to sleep feeling very happy and loved to see so many faces on his first birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment