Sunday, January 8, 2017

Reading Challenge

I've decided to take on a reading challenge for the year because, for me, reading is a way for my mind to relax and regroup. Last year it was rather difficult for me to make much of an effort to choose to read when I did find myself with a bit of extra time. I had made a private challenge to read 24 books that would serve as research and points of reference for writing a novel. I was extremely excited to be doing this work, but I let the challenge of having two under two consume me. 

I have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing them. 
I only read two books the entire year, that's not okay for me. This year I decided to share my personal challenge so my public announcement will make me more accountable and hopefully encourage me to achieve my goal. I am, however, undecided as to what type of books I want to include. I'm debating on whether or not I should take on last year's challenge to be able to say I did it. Or if I should compile a list that supports more of my business endeavors with a sprinkle of books to satiate my thirst for historical fiction; primarily crime thrillers a la Sherlock Holmes. 

I also have a tendency to buy books only to have them go up on the shelf for "when I have time."
 
Then when I get the urge to read, instead of heading to my jam packed shelves at home, I head to the bookstore and enjoy rummaging for an hour or so. Usually leaving the store with a euphoric smile from having satisfied my inner bibliophile and shopaholic all at once. Only to cram one or more of my purchases onto my aforementioned heavily loaded shelves. 
 
As I sit here typing, my personal challenge is working itself out. I will read 20 books this year and resolve to only reading books that I currently own or check them out from a library. 
First up on my list will be one of the two I purchased on my last visit to the bookstore, Margaret Atwood's "Alias Grace." I'll keep you all posted as I read and share my selections as I make progress. I'll also be keeping track on Goodreads  It's a great website for any of you who love to read or want to start reading more. You can log books onto your virtual shelves as books you've read, are currently reading, or want to read. You can view your friends shelves and search specific categories you find interesting for inspiration on your next read. They have an app for easy updates and searches. 
Meanwhile, are any of you reading something now? I personally enjoy fantasy and historical fiction. I welcome any suggestions, leave them in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. I find when goals are at least semi-public or I have someone to help keep me accountable, I'm much more likely to achieve them.
    And I can totally sympathize with all the unread books. Sometimes I feel like I get 2-3 books for every one that I actually read.
    Good luck with your reading goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've noticed you're making excellent progress to start the year :) We just resorted to the "cry it out" method with Von and he's done SO well! He's slept all night 3 nights in a row with very little fuss. I have no more excuses for my lack of reading! xD

      Delete